The Nova Scotia Football Association was organized at a meeting held in the Halifax Hotel on February 7, 1913. The clubs represented at this historic meeting were H.M.C.S. Niobe, R.C.G.A., R.C.R., R.C.E., A.S.C., C.O.C., Nova Scotia Car Works, Nova Scotia Rope Works, Clan Thistle, Halifax Hotel, Deaf and Dumb Institute, Trinity Y.M.A. and five other clubs from outside the Halifax area who did not send representatives but wrote their willingness to affiliate. At this inargural meeting The Nova Scotia Football Association voted in favour of paying the $25 fee and joined the Dominion of Canada Football Association.
On April 9, 1914 the Halifax Herald reported that, “The Nova Scotia Football Association has received an offer from a firm in England, thru Kelly and Glassey, of a handsome silver shield as a trophy to be played for during the coming season; also a set of silver medals,” It seems that in the summer of 1913 a gentleman visiting from Stromness in the Orkney Islands of Scotland, became in interested in the game of association football as played by the Halifax City, Army and Navy and Clan Thistle and offered to finance a championship trophy. On May 15, 1920 the Halifax Herald reported that, “The Orkney Challenge Shield can be seen in the window of the Green Lantern during Friday and Saturday. It is a trophy that will be played off for by the various football teams of Halifax and Nova Scotia.”
With the resumption of activities following the war the Nova Scotia Football Association sent a delegate to the 1921 annual general meeting of the Dominion Football Association in Toronto. That delegate was George W. Crossin, the president at that time.
In 1935 the AGM of the Nova Scotia Football Association was held on April 18th and for the third year in a row T. Bruce Taylor, was elected President. In August of that same year a team from Nova Scotia (Halifax St. George’s Aces) entered the Dominion championship for the first time!
In 1936 the Nova Scotia Football Association during their AGM supported the proposal of President T. Bruce Taylor to form a Maritime Football Association. This proposal was also supported by the New Brunswick Football Association. No record has yet been found of the Nova Scotia Football Association being in operation beyond 1936 until the years following World War Two.
Post World War Two
While records are virtually non-existent and newspaper reports are sketchy, organized soccer in Nova Scotia in general, and in Halifax in particular, seems to have ended sometime after 1936 and didn’t start again until the mid-1950s. During this time a man named Max Durling along with Bruce and Don Oland got things rolling again. Writing in the March April 1975 edition of Canadian Soccer News, Colin Morris, then Technical Director of Coaching for the Nova Scotia Soccer Association, noted that “It was not until 1953, that a Senior League began in Halifax.” He continued. “By 1956, the Senior League had eight teams. Most were made up of newly arrived immigrants from Europe.”
In 1957 Edward Clarke, then the President of the Nova Scotia Football Association, was in contact with George Anderson, Secretary of the Football Association of Canada, regarding having Nova Scotia affiliate with the national association for the first time since the 1930s.